Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat will not use its liter box and prefers going outside.

Hi! My cat will not use its liter box and prefers going outside. However, recently he has be unable to produce solid stool and is constantly relieving gas and accidentally pooping.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is this new behavior?
Customer: It is very runny and he also seems to be cleaning that area constantly.
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Ernie and he is 5.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ernie?
Customer: He has lost 3lbs in 5 months. (from 14lbs to 11lbs) We tried using anti diarrhea and that did not work.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but wanted to touch base with you about Ernie.

If he has had persistent loose stools, we'd have to be worried about chronic bacterial infection, viral infection, protozoa/parasites, a nutritional sensitivity, possible IBD or GI cancer. With tis all in mind and given that he didn't respond to previous treatments, it would be ideal to have a stool sample checked at this point. That way we can determine if we have an infectious issue and once identified target treatment to clear it. Otherwise, if that is clear then those last 3 conditions would need to be considered for him and a diet trial on a GI sensitive diet (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity control) +/- scoping of the intestines to look for those last 2 could be used.

In the meantime, just to try to help give him better fecal control, you could try one of those light diets I noted. Furthermore, to that, fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to firm his stools quicker, reduce gas, and support digestion. As well, since you didn't note what you used to treat the diarrhea, I'd note that OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose HERE) or a Kaolin/probiotic paste (ie Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber) which are all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon could be used to help support upset GI. As well, if he hasn't been wormed lately, do make sure to cover that base and consider using Panacur/Fenbendazole to cover for worms but also some of those protozoal concerns.

Overall, the continued signs leading to weight loss and fecal accidents despite some supportive care rings alarm bells of this being more then a benign gut upset. And the above would be our concerns here for Ernie. So, try the above supportive care but do consider submitting a fecal sample to his vet for fully analysis (this can be done even without Ernie being seen) to help start narrowing down our causes for these signs to ensure we nip this in the bud before he wastes away.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you for you thorough response. I am kind of at the end of my rope. I scheduled a vet appointment and collected a fecal sample. I hope the test result will provide us with some answers.Thank you again!Brittni

You are very welcome, Brittni.

I can understand your frustration and I am sure Ernie feels the same. Hopefully, his vet can get to the root of this quickly and the above at least slow his signs and give you both some peace in the short term.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.