Sean Egan
Sean Egan,
Experience:  Owner/Veterinarian at Egan Fife Animal Hospital
98381030

I have a cat that lives outside. The only time he comes up

I have a cat that lives outside. The only time he comes up is when I'm feeding at night, then he will rob all over you. When I went outside last evening, he was laying on the drive, but looked very skinny, and when he got up, it is pretty sure his leg was broken. I wrally him in a towel to get him to the vet. While my husband did the search for the kennel, he dropped something, it spooked the cat that went TOTALLY beserk. He scratch my eye lid badly, several spots on my fore head, across nose, my neckline and he bit completely through my nail/thumb and got another big lick in on my forearm. I went to the doc, got tetanus antibiotics. The question is, since he was never given any shots, do I need to call my doc and tell him the cats had had no shots, not even rabies or can I watch for symptoms?

Hi there, this is Dr. Sean. I’ll be happy to answer your question.

A pop-up screen may appear asking if you would like a phone call. Please click NO, as I cannot take phone calls.

Has your thumb swelled up at all?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
the thumb is swollen. I'm using an antibiotic ointment my doc recommended. I just forget to tell him that the cat had not had any shots including rabies.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
No phone call

Your cat isn't going to give you any viruses, so you don't need to worry about that.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
no worries about rabies?

The only real worry is that cats have a lot of bacteria in their mouths, so when you get bitten, you will very often get a bad infection. The scratches can rarely cause cat scratch fever, but I haven't seen a case.

No worries about rabies. He would have to have rabies to pass it to you. And this isn't a case of being bitten by a cat with rabies, this is a case of being bitten by a cat that was in pain.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
We've had him a couple of years and have never seen any signs of it. We've never been able to catch him so that we could get him to the vet for shots and to get fixed.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Sounds great. I'll just keep cleaning my wounds and won't worry unless they get bad. Thanks for the opinion. I appreciate it.

You would probably have to trap him to do that I would imagine. Just keep an eye on that thumb- if it gets very red and swollen, you will need oral antibiotics.

You’re very welcome. I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you have any further questions, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.