Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Open round sore on back right side. About half inch wide.

Open round sore on back right side. About half inch wide. Some fur is gone in area. Has been there for a month. Doesn't seem to get better.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Henry, he's about 6 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Henry?
Customer: He just looks out of normal health. Fur is a bit raggedy. I can't get him in a carry case. He has his front claws and he's big. I took a picture. Is there a was to load to you?

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Has he been seen by a vet for this problems?

2- What treatments have you tried?

3- Is he licking the sore?

4- Can you post the picture on this thread?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No licking or scratching. The sore is solid, not oozing or pus filled. There is a raised red bumpy ring around the outside of the sore. Looks very similar to a round burn. Why isn't it healing or shrinking? No vet visit yet. Can't into carry case. Has had all his shots and has his testiculs removed about 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No thanks, can't afford at this time

Can you post a picture on this thread?

Please disregard the phone request this is sent automatically by the site, not me. I am sorry.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I have a iPhone and took a pic of the sore,

Can you upload it on this thread?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I think the pic is sent

Thank you for the picture.

1- Are sure he is not licking it?

2- Is he strictly indoors?

3- Have you been treating it? If so, what did you use?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I never see him lick. He never goes outside. I give him frontline flee tick Meds.
I do have a damp basement and that's where there litter box is. I have three cats and four litter boxes. Nothing like this on other two cats.

Have you been treating it? If so, what did you use?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

When we see a skin lesion like this that is not healing we need to rule out malignancy (cancer) or underlying infection that needs antibiotics. The lesion in the picture looks like there could be a tumor and for this reason, it is not healing. I would recommend having him checked by your family veterinarian for a hands-on examination. In addition, I would speak to your family veterinarian about doing an FNA (fine needle aspirate); this is a very quick test where your vet will collect a sample of the cells with a needle. Requires no anesthesia, inexpensive when compared to a biopsy and can be done within minutes during an office examination. Your vet will most likely submit the sample to a lab to be evaluated under the microscope for a definitive diagnosis. If your vet confirms that it is a tumor he will need to have it removed surgically.

I realize that this answer may not be entire to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter