Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Just found wild bunny kit maybe 2-3 weeks. cont'd...

just found wild bunny kit maybe 2-3 weeks.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the bunny?
Customer: cont'd...
JA: Where does the bunny seem to hurt?
Customer: laceration on lower back, Not into muscle. probably in shock but still moving somewhat
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Is the bunny bleeding a lot?
Customer: no, not running but bloody when touched w/ gauze
JA: Phew. What is the bunny's name?
Customer: it's wild, found with cat nearby
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bunny?
Customer: dont think so

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now we need to tread with care for this little one. Wild kits are very delicate and high risk for dying from shock. Furthermore, they can be very difficult to feed/rear at this age. Therefore, for the moment if it is in shock, we need to keep it somewhere secure (where they can feel safe) that is warm (86-90 degrees F), secluded, dimly lit. Ideally, he could be placed in a single level cage that has easy access to food/water and you can line the floor with soft substrate (ie wash cloth, towel, etc). A heating pad can be placed beneath half the cage if need be. Alternatively, you can make a safe warmer from a clean sock filled 2/3rd full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Make sure to shake it before adding it to the cage, to allow the heat to distribute. Make sure its not too hot (as we don’t want to burn the kit. If it cools, you can re-warm as required). Whichever technique you use, do monitor the temperature closely, since we don’t want to overheat him (and we cannot be confident he would move himself if he grew too warm).

For the wound, you can start by cleaning this 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry but don't be tempted to put any antibiotic cream on this (since if they lick it off it can damage the gut microflora causing fatal diarrhea). Further to that though, if it is gaping open we'd need him on antibiotics +/- anti-inflammatories and if severe we may even need this stitched closed to ensure healing. And with those and given how difficult it would be to feed a wild kit (even tame ones are difficult due to the high risk of aspiration of rabbit milk replacer); it would be ideal to get him to the local vet as soon as they are open. They have a duty of care to help wildlife and often have close relationships with local rehabilitation facilities to get the kit into one so it can be rehabilitated. Otherwise, you can also touch base with local rehabilitators for this little one. To find them, you can check Wildlife International (http://www.wildlifeinternational.org/EN/public/emergency/emergencyrehab.html), US Wildlife Rehabilitation (http://www.southeasternoutdoors.com/wildlife/rehabilitators/directory-us.html), Wildlife Rehabbers (http://wildliferehabber.com/rehabber-search), or Wildlife Sanctuaries (http://www.greenpeople.org/sanctuary.htm). And that way we will give him the best chance for care, rehabilitation and a chance to eventually be let back into the wild.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )