Chelsea Schwarb
Chelsea Schwarb,
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at Towne and Country Animal Hospital
98621803

She been throwing up & not eating. Not to my knowledge,

Customer Question

She been throwing up & not eating.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not to my knowledge
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Sweetie. She's 15
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about She 's?
Customer: She's been to the vet. She had a small blood panel done. The only thing weird on it was her glucose.
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
She hasn't eaten anything solid or hasn't really drank water for a few days now. Now she's drooling out this weird smelling liquid. She's lost a lot of weight due to this weird episode & this is the 2nd time this is happening to her within the past 2 months. The first vet was on March 4 & she weighed 10 pounds, her last visit was this past Monday & she weighed 8.1.
Expert:  Chelsea Schwarb replied 6 days ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry that Sweetie is not feeling well recently. I would be happy to help you with your questions and talk things through with you. I am available for the next little bit. Please let me know if you would prefer a phone call. This is sometimes a lot easier and faster than typing. If not, I am also able to type. I would appreciate if you could get back to me within the next 30 minutes. Thank you!

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
A phone call will be fine.(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I'm not willing to pay an extra $28 to talk on the phone.

Okay, not a problem! Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you!.

Can you tell me if her blood glucose was too high or too low?

Has she ever swallowed or even played with string, yard, thread, hair ties, etc? Did your vet take an x-ray?

Is she indoor only or does she go outside too?

My biggest concerns for Sweetie based on her symptoms of anorexia and weight loss are kidney failure, liver disease, or cancer. Your vet may have already checked her kidney values. If so do you know if they were high?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Her glucose was at 225.She does play with random items, but don't know if she has swallowed anything & they haven't given her an x-ray yet.She's strictly an indoor cat.Her blood panel showed no bad levels in her kidney or liver.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Here's her blood panel results

If Sweetie has not eating or drank very much in a few days, then this can be very serious. She is likely very dehydrated due to this. I strongly recommend she be rechecked with her vet as soon as possible. Her kidney and liver values and blood glucose should be rechecked. Anorexia in a cat can cause elevations in kidney and liver values. If her values were normal last time, they may be abnormal now and require specific treatments to correct. An x-ray would be helpful to evaluate her GI tract. If she does have an abnormal gas pattern in her GI tract that can make us more concerned for a foreign body obstruction. I think this is less likely due to the chronicity of her symptoms. But, an x-ray can also give us an idea of her kidney size, liver size, if she has bladder stones, or a large mass in her abdomen or chest.

Thank you, ***** ***** values are helpful to me! Her elevated blood glucose is not really high enough for me to think she is a Diabetic. Cats can have spikes in blood glucose due to stress and that is more likely why hers was high.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I just called my vet an got an appointment today to do an x-ray. I'm hoping something will show up!

Her 2 lb weight loss is significant. It would be like you or I losing 15 lbs in a short time. Both kidney failure and cancer can cause dramatic weight loss like this. Kidney failure is easy to check for with blood work and measuring her urine concentration. Cancer can be a little more difficult to diagnose. Her blood work could be completely normal and she could still have cancer. The x-ray is helpful, but could also be normal. An ultrasound of her abdomen would be able to give your vet a good picture of how her abdominal organs look. It would show if her kidneys have cysts, stones or signs of degeneration. I could show if her spleen or liver have a mass.

* it could show

If all of her tests come back unremarkable, then I would talk to your vet about fluid therapy, anti-nausea medication (Cerenia), appetite stimulant (Mirtazapine), and possibly steroids. I also recommend offering her canned cat food. Cat’s appetite is strongly linked to sense of smell. When I have an anorexic cat I recommend offering stinky cat food to try and interest them in eating it. You can warm it up for a few seconds in the microwave too. Depending on how dehydrated your vet determines that she is, they may recommend that you administer fluids under her skin at home. This is called subQ fluid administration. It is relatively easy to do and your vet is able to show you how to do this.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns regarding Sweetie. I will try to check back in with you tonight to follow up. I hope that she has something that is treatable.

If you have a moment to leave me a positive rating I would greatly appreciate it! Good luck!

Hello. I am following up on Sweetie. Was your vet able to find a cause for her symptoms?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
He reviewed her test results & said she's diabetic. The readings came back that her pancreas was a causing factor. He wants me to take her back in to get her glucose level checked again. He also gave me some medicine to help give her an appetite. She doesn't seem to be reacting to the appetite medicine all that well, still not eating.
Expert:  Chelsea Schwarb replied 5 days ago.

I'm happy you were able to get her seen yesterday. Some appetite stimulants can take a day or two to start working. Please reference this website for a well written help guide for pet owners of cats with Diabetes. This is a complicated disease and can be frustrating to understand and manage.

http://catinfo.org/feline-diabetes/

This website has a lot of links to different topics. It looks a little overwhelming, but I think it will be a good reference for you.

http://www.petdiabetes.com

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you and Sweetie.

If you have a moment today to leave me a positive review as this is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you and good luck with her!