Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Kingsland Blvd Animal Clinic
94981754

Denney

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Denney
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Meghan Denney replied 1 month ago.
I have been bit befor that does not appear too deep but you should see your doctor as cat bites can get infected
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think you have responded to different case. My cat regarding his heart disease. Do you think his BP would have gone down along with his body temp if he went home? I just worry that 80 would have been ok for weeks to months

Sorry you are correct sent that to the wrong person.

We have discussed at length that no he would not have been ok. His heart was not able to work any more. BP aside, body temperature aside (both not good by themselves) but the real issue is that his heart was unable to do the Job it needed to do. The heart failure is what caused the BP to be low and the temperature to not come up.

Baring a feline heart transplant, which is not available, he was dying.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Meghan Denney
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
but his temperature did go up to 99..his BP satyed around 80. Why do he still feel that he would nt have lasted long, I don't understand

You know why. His heart was failing completely. He could not maintain his temperature outside the incubation chamber. He could not maintain his blood pressure, he was probably throwing clots everywhere in his body. He was dying.

It is not a feeling. It is unfortunately a fact that your cat's heart could not support life outside of a hospital and was not going to be able to come back from his complete heart failure.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
but how this known for sure, that's what I don't understand. your patient that was similar appeared to be far worse off, lower BP, isn't 80 normal enough to go on? Have you seen cases with heart patient cats that had low temp, and then go home and just deteriorate back to low body temp etc.?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ansd what do you mean by incubation chamber? He was in an oxygen cage. Wasn't he in cardiogenic shock, and once his temp went up, he could have been ok to go home?
and how this known for sure he wouldn't be able to sustain outside of hospital , that's what I don't understand. your patient that was similar appeared to be far worse off, lower BP, isn't 80 normal enough to go on? Have you seen cases with heart patient cats that had low temp, and then go home and just deteriorate back to low body temp etc.?

The oxygen cage had temperature control as well to help with his body temp.

I am so sorry to say this but we cannot continue hashing this out again and again. We have been discussing your cat's case at length for months and you still are struggling with acceptance and healing. I am going to recommend that you see a counselor to help you move through the stages of grief as I cannot assist you further.

It is my opinion that this is not healthy for you to keep on this path that I feel is causing you unnecessary pain.

I know your cat loved you and you loved him and he would not want you to keep remember him this way over and over again.

Unfortunately, at this juncture I am going to withdraw myself from advising you further and request that when I close this question that you not contact me further as it is not helping you and I have nothing further to offer you from what we have discussed at length.

I have discussed with you at length why I know what I know. It is not just me saying these things. You also had a cardiologist that told you the same thing as well as emergency clinicians.

I wish you peace and healing.