Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Our cat Tessa went to the Vet yesterday and gave her shots

Customer Question

Our cat Tessa went to the Vet yesterday and gave her shots and IV fluid think she has low blood white cell I'm not sure what this means I know she hasn't been eating and drinking for the last four days. Is she dying?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tessa?
Customer: No she's an indoor cat and she's been healthy for six years.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Tessa. Can you upload a copy of all of her test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but Tessa'svet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

I not only review the test results but also note which tests should have been performed but weren't. Leukopenia (low white blood cell count) usually caused by neutropenia (a lack of the white blood cell neutrophil) occurs infrequently in cats because they have a large bone marrow storage pool of neutrophils. Leukopnia, then, indicates a poor prognosis. It's usualy caused by excessive tissue consumption of neutrophils during severe inflammation and/or reduced bone marrow production. The most important causes of excessive consumption is overwhelming sepsis/endotoxemia (widespread infection with toxins produced by the infectious agent(s)), and bone marrow suppression by the feline leukemia or feline immunodeficiency viruses.

The other tests in a diagnostic panel should guide Tessa's investigation. If nothing else untoward is found in such testing, imaging in the form of chest X-rays and abdominal ultrasound are indicated.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok I'll get my son to scan the paperwork and will uploaded later for you to look at it.
Thanks,
Margie

Sounds good. I'll watch for your next post.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 days ago.

I received the file but only an invoice was found. There were no test results. Please try again.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Tessa doesn't want to eat in fact she hasn't eaten since last week and she looked lethargic and no energy at all.

Such profound anorexia requires her being hospitalized on IV fluids and forced feeding until the etiology of her illness is clarified and more specific therapy can be provided.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?