Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I have a cat that has 20 day old kittens. She has had

Customer Question

I have a cat that has 20 day old kittens. She has had diarrhea issues for a while. Is it ok to give her metronidazole or tylan/prozyme while she's still feeding her kittens?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?
Customer: Diarrhea and her butt was very red. I've been putting desitan on her butt and her butt is looking better. But not she if she should be taking those meds.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Salsa
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Salsa?
Customer: Not that I can think of right now.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 9 days ago.

Hi, I will be happy to help you with this.......

Expert:  Dr B replied 9 days ago.

how much does your mother cat weigh?

Expert:  Dr B replied 9 days ago.

Metronidazole should not be used......this is very dangerous for the kittens...

Expert:  Dr B replied 9 days ago.

I would not use Tylan either...... I would wean the kittens as soon as you can.....you should be able to do this over a week to 10 days and then get the mom treated. Can I help you further?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank u for your help! I felt something wasn't right with the medications. What do u mean by wean the kittens off? I have stopped the meds immediately!!
Expert:  Dr B replied 8 days ago.

I meant wean them off Mom so you can tx Mom.....but this has to be done over 7-10 days and cannot be done until they eat kitten canned food with kitten milk replacer put in the food. I hope that makes sense. Let me know if I can help you further. Sincerely,

DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 5 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr B