Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

Our 10 week old female is vomiting clear liquid twice today,

Customer Question

our 10 week old female is vomiting clear liquid twice today
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: not that I'm aware of, we adopted her last weekend, but there are other animals in the house, she may have eaten some of their food possibly
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Sue-she
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: No, up to date on vaccinations, spayed, microshipped, sleeps a lot, seems "lethargic" according to my wife
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 10 days ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Sue-she who has been vomiting today. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 10 days ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with Sue-she this evening and we need to consider anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything your girl could have gotten into), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction. It could even be that your girl's diet has upset her stomach. You will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on your girl, and if this vomiting continues, then you will need to get her seen by your local vet this afternoon.

For now, make sure your girl has plenty of fresh water available and encourage her to drink. The biggest concern right now is that she could become dehydrated. If she won't drink or can't keep water down, then you are best to get her seen by your local vet today where they can start her on some intravenous (IV) fluids. You can with hold her food until the morning now, and from then you can start her on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Don't worry about getting her to eat this afternoon but definitely encourage her to drink now and over night. If she isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making her up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed her this luke-warm broth.

For now, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the vet.

Best of luck with your girl and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if she can't keep water down, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get her seen this afternoon. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 10 days ago.

Hopefully Sue-she's membranes and capillary refill time are currently ok. Is she drinking and able to keep water down right now?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I came home and found a few fleas on her. What type of medication can I use to protect her?
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 10 days ago.

Hi again,

Don't panic about de-fleaing your girl until her vomiting has settled as we don't want to complicate things! Tomorrow when she is better, you can purchase Advantage for cats from your local vet and this is appropriate for kittens from weaning (so your girl will be fine). Make sure you get the correct dose give however (your vet team will be able to assist you).

Dr E

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
We fed her water with a small syringe and she's keeping it down but she's now also displaying diarrhea. We made an appointment for tomorrow afternoon. Does she need to get in before that time?
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 10 days ago.

Hi again,

Thanks for the update and good on you for looking after her and assisting her with drinking. So long as she is taking the water well, not vomiting it up, and not having large amounts of liquid diarrhea, then waiting until the morning will be fine. If she can't keep water down or seems dehydrated, then you're better to follow up with your local ER vet overnight.

All the best with your girl.

Dr E

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Our kitty passed away last night. I suspect it was parvo. What can I do to protect my other dog and cat?
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 9 days ago.

Oh your poor kitty. It could possibly have been Feline Panleukopenia (which is the feline equivalent of canine parvo in terms of symptoms and severity). The best thing you can do right now is ensure both your dog and cat are fully up to date with their vaccinations and deworming treatments. Also be sure to clean up the areas your kitty was based in with a reliable cleaning product that deals to bacteria and viri.

If your other pets aren't up to date with their vaccinations, then you really do need to follow up with your local vet this morning.

Dr E