Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Kingsland Blvd Animal Clinic
94981754

Which is best flea treatment for new mommy cat, like, she

Customer Question

Which is best flea treatment for new mommy cat, like, she had babies this morning? I used spray on her while she was pregnant because I was fearful of drops like frontline, but, I've seen a flea on new baby and I'm terrified! Which is best, ***** ***** advantage??
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Meghan Denney replied 1 month ago.

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

You can get something called capstar from your regular veterinarian. It is a pill that once given kills all fleas in 24 hours. And is safe in nursing queens. Then for the kittens once they are a little older you can use dawn soap and bathe them and pull the fleas off.

Do you have any other animals in the house like dogs ? If so they need to be on flea prevention to help cut the flea population down.

If that is not an option you can also bathe the mother cat in dawn and get a flea comb from petsmart and comb the fleas off and make sure we wash bedding.

Frontline spray is also safe for nursing mommas. Just make sure you do not spray her nipple area just her back or you can use cotton balls to apply.

Put a little bit on a cotton wall and gently wipe down the kittens.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no type of drops that will kill fleas for weeks for mama cat?

I also would recommend vacuuming your house or apartment (furniture included) to suck up any flea eggs that fall off the animal when they are moving about.

No drops right now are labeled. You can use revolution (I have hd clients use this before off label and it was fine, but I cannot recommend it as its not labeled )

The safest is capstar for mom but you cannot give to the kittens yet. So the frontline spray may be your best bet or kitty bathing time with dawn dish soap and a flea comb.

If you use the spray make sure you allow it to dry before putting kittens back with their mom.

I Hope this helps

Good luck.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney