Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Kingsland Blvd Animal Clinic
94981754

My cat was happy playful and eating well, on Friday I took

Customer Question

Hi, my cat was happy playful and eating well, on Friday I took him for a check up and the vet suggested I get his ears cleaned. two yours later I noticed that one of his eyes was full dilated and the other was normal. He is no longer eating it seems like he wants to pick up his food but then drops it because he cant chew it. This happened after the vet cleaned his eyes.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Sox age 12
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sox?
Customer: Like what? He is off balance he is not eating and seems like something is bothering his ears. I am so frustrated. I pray he was not hurt.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Meghan Denney replied 1 month ago.

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

Where Sox's ear heavy with wax or dark discharge?

I need you to call your veterinarian and let them know what is going on with Sox. Sometimes older kitties can react to ear cleanings like this and we have no idea of knowing when it will happen. It can resolve with time but we may need to get some medications on board and an ear exam done to check to make sure his ear drums are intact and healthy. Inner ear infections can also cause this.

This is not an uncommon response in cats but we need to get some meds on board to try and help resolve it faster. The not eating is probably because he is a little dizzy (inner ear vertigo symptoms) can make them nauseous.

The condition specifically where one pupil is large and the other is not is called Horner's.

What is Horner's Syndrome?

Horner's syndrome consists of five signs:

• Constricted pupil
  • Elevated third eyelid
  • Retraction of the eyeball into the head
  • Slight drooping of the eyelid

Causes in cats are as follows

Middle ear disease: otitis media (infection), inflammatory polyps (growth in the ear), tumors, bulla osteotomy (surgery), and iatrogenic injuries associated with ear cleaning (which is what Sox probably has)

I Hope this helps

Good luck.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

Did this help answer your question ?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Meghan Denney