Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Kingsland Blvd Animal Clinic
94981754

I have a 4 weeks old kitten, I notice today he has a soft

Customer Question

I have a 4 weeks old kitten, I notice today he has a soft bump that drags on the floor when he walk.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No, it is located on his lower abdomen
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Banjo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Banjo?
Customer: They born at home I still have two other siblings, they looks very healthy. Mom looks healthy.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Meghan Denney replied 1 month ago.

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

Can you send me a picture of the bump so I can see what we are dealing with ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Im not sure if the pic was sent
I am downloading it now
It is a little blurry all I can't see is what appears to be a normal stomach which I do not think is what you are talking about. Can you get a side angle picture and one of the kitten on its back
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Esta es de lado,

Ok that looks like a small umbilical hernia.

When the kitten gets older that will need to be repaired when it gets spayed or neutered depending on the sex.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But I don't feel anything hard? Is soft

Yes that is what a hernia feels like. The body wall has a hole in it that allows fat and possibly some small intestines to pop in the hole. It should feel soft.

A veterinarian will need to confirm this with a physical exam. When you bring these little guy in for his first round of kitten vaccines in 2-3 weeks they will examine him and make sure that is what it is.

If he stops eating or vomits you will need to take him in sooner to your regular veterinarian because sometimes the intestines can get stuck and cause pain.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will they do a surgery?

When he is older if it is a complete hernia then yes. If it is just fat it may be ok to be left alone, but typically in cats I repair them when the kitten is old enough at the time they get spayed or neutered

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, thank you very much

You are most welcome!