PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I have a barn cat that has a lot of mucus coming from his

I have a barn cat that has a lot of mucus coming from his mouth. He's also losing weight.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** probably over 10 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tiger?
Customer: We had a stray that was hanging around and had the same symptoms and he may have wandered off and died. Not sure

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) When was Tiger last vaccinated?
2) Is he eating and drinking well?
3) How long ago was the stray present?
4) Can you share pics of what you're seeing?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
He's not vaccinated
He is eating
I haven't seen the stay in a while but he was around maybe 8 months
I'll send a picture later today.

I'll keep an eye out. If video is easier, that would work too.

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. If it fails to load, the files are likely too large. You can also use websites like tinypic.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. I’ll be standing by.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I added a video named Tiger McCoy to you tube but can't seem to connect it to this page

You'll need to post the link into the chat box.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
https://youtu.be/WQdS7JNO3Ao

This looks like pain in the mouth based on the drooling, chattering motion and I can't tell if the nose might be involved too but there is some mucus present there, as well. If he were under my care, I'd take him to the vet (carrier or trap, whichever was needed) for an examination and treatment. Given that he's outside, we cannot be sure that this is not due to injury. It's great that he's still able to eat, but if he's losing weight he's likely not able to eat at the rate be previously was. To help with this, you may wish to soften all foods so he can more easily lick them up than bite down onto them. This may help him to put some weight back on but likely won't fix whatever originally ailed him. My suspicion at this point would be either oral injury (such as a fractured jaw) or periodontal disease.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800