PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My cat was given the depo medrol shot yesterday because the

Customer Question

My cat was given the depo medrol shot yesterday because the vet thought she had an allergy cause she was looking her hair (no other symptoms) and today she's normal except for the fact that she hasn't eaten or drank anything since this shot
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Lucy and she's 10
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucy?
Customer: No
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 12 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food? New treats? Bones? Human food? The opportunity to get into the trash? Torn up toys, etc?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

What foods have been tried thus far?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No vomiting or diarrhea, no new food at all.. she's very picky so if there was anything on the floor it's very unlikely she would eat it.

What foods have been tried thus far?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
She eats Purina dry food and friskies wet food, she hasn't eaten either.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
She LOVES tuna and I tried giving that to her and she kicked it maybe twice and walked away.. very unlike her

Occasionally steroids will cause a GI upset in cats, so it would be worth talking to your vet. If I were in your shoes, I would administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. For pets avoiding taking medication readily, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 If she is nauseated, this should make her stomach feel better and she will likely eat. This medication also won't interfere with her current treatment. It will take about 2 hours to see a response in her from this medication but it's likely going to yield the best results at home vs. going to the ER overnight.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
you don't think there is anything wrong that's from the steroid? This is pretty common?

It's possible that she is having a reaction to the steroid. As mentioned, we can see pets avoid food following. Typically, though, we see an increase in eating and drinking. If she is not improved by morning, I would have your vet perform a recheck for good measure.