Dr. Derek
Dr. Derek, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Mixed animal veterinarian for nine years
88281037

Cat has bad breath for a while now. Not eating his hard cat

Customer Question

Cat has bad breath for a while now. Not eating his hard cat food lately, just wet cat food and whining more than usual
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Murray 17 yrs.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Murray?
Customer: stools different more round and harder now
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Derek replied 13 days ago.
Hello I'm Dr. Derek and I hope to assist you today. I'm very sorry to hear that Murray isn't feeling well. The clinical signs that you describe point me to one alarming suspicion. Strikingly bad breath with an ammonia or uremic odor is often evident in cases of renal failure. Renal failure is common among older cat populations. Appetite changes ranging from selective appetite to complete anorexia may be present depending on the severity of the affected animal. The kidneys are responsible for concentrating waste products into the urine and retaining fluid as needed to maintain normal metabolic function. If kidney function is impaired, fluid retention may be inadequate oftentimes leading to dehydration which could account for the dry, firm stool. I would suggest that you seek veterinary attention for Murray first thing tomorrow morning and request that blood work including a chemistry panel and CBC be performed. If your veterinarian is equipped to perform a urinalysis this will aid in the diagnosis of renal disease. He or she may also wish to perform abdominal radiographs of ultrasounds as they see fit. If you have any other questions please let me know. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Derek replied 11 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Derek