Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

Refuses to use cat box. Urinates within a few feet of the

Customer Question

Refuses to use cat box. Urinates within a few feet of the box and will poop in box.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Remy about seven .
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Remy?
Customer: No
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 7 days ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Ola and I would be happy to answer your question about Remy. Inappropriate elimination can be due a medical or a behavioral cause. First, you have to rule out medical causes such as urinary tract infection, lower urinary inflammation, kidney disease or metabolic diseases (such as diabetes or hyperthyoidism). Has Remy had any recent changes to his drinking? More frequent or increased volumes of drinking? Have you seen any changes in coloration of the urine (very light or very dark/blood tinged)? For you to rule out any medical cause, you would need to schedule an appointment for Remy with general blood test and a urinalysis to be certain no medical treatment is needed at this time.

As far as behavioral causes are concerned, cats can start to urinate outside of box due to a number of reasons. This can occur due to stress, litter type or repeated marking behavior. If Remy is not neutered, you may start here.. Marking behavior often requires cleaning the area with an enzymatic urine cleaner. Typical household cleaners will not mask the smell to animals and they will repeatedly urinate in the same area if not cleaned with a clean that will break up the ammonia in the urine. If any changes in his environment have occurred such a such as any visitors, new pets in the house or different environment, this can also contribute. If Remy has other cat siblings, make sure that no stress is associated with his urinating. Make sure you have enough litter boxes available (at least 2 if he is the only cat) and they are out of the way of noise and traffic. Also, make sure that his litter type is what he prefers by trying a variety of litter types.

I hope this advice was helpful to you. Please let me know if you need clarification on anything or have other questions about this. Also, please do not forget to rate my answer which I hope you found to be "excellent." You may do this by clicking "rate our conversation" below (Your rating is the only means of compensation I receive for answering your question). Again, let me know if I can help you further:)

Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 5 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Ola Barrett