Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 16 year old female cat started today with not being able

Customer Question

My 16 year old female cat started today with not being able to urinate. Keeps going in and out of the litter box. However is purring and playing a great deal. Will not let me pick her up so can't go to vet even if I cold afford it. Is there any hope?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Can't go to vet-can't afford it and she won't let me pick her up. Her name is Celeste
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Celeste?
Customer: She's usually a good eater but not today. I just want to know if there's any chance she'll get better
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 days ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Celeste. Is she still eating and drinking?

The most common reason for frequent trips to the litter box with little or no urine passing is a bladder infection or UTI (urinary tract infection). Other possible causes are bladder stones, or bladder tumors. However, cystitis (infection/inflammation of the bladder) is the most likely problem she has.

If this is an infection, she will get better with antibiotics. If it is an infection and is not treated, it could become a kidney infection which is serious and even life threatening.

You could try to find a house call vet in your area if you can't take her to a veterinarian. This should be treated and she will probably get better if it is treated. There is always a chance she will get better on her own, but since she is older I would not recommend not doing anything.

Please let me know what other questions you have.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I can't afford a mobil vet and she would run and hide. Thanks for your answer.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 days ago.

You are welcome. You could try confining her to a room before the vet gets there. I hope you are able to get her some help. Please let me know how she is doing.