PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I adopted a cat and she seems to have a cold. She isn't

I adopted a cat and she seems to have a cold. She isn't eating. Now she is hacking.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Minerva is 10. They tried to spayed her but she was already fixed.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Minerva?
Customer: I have only had her four days but she has dandruff. She likes my bed. She's drinking water.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Did Minerva come from a rescue or shelter?
2) Have you reached out to the organization to discuss the symptoms?
3) Is she on any medication at this time?
4) Can you share a video of the hacking?
5) Does she have mucus from the eyes or nose?
6) When did she last eat?
7) Was any bloodwork performed at the time of the attempted spay?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1. Shelter
2. They are closed on Mondays.
3.no
4. She's sleeping now
5. From one eye
6. She ate a little this morning and had water an hour ago.
7. Not that i know of

Many shelters will cover the treatment of a recently adopted cat but it does sound like Minerva likely has an upper respiratory infection, which are quite common in shelter settings since so many cats come and go at such high volume. Illness transmission can be rampant, particularly in the spring and summer months.

Make sure that Minerva continues eating as much as you can get her to take. Calories are very important in a cat who is ill. The liver can suffer the effects within 3 days of not eating well and in a senior cat this can be seen even more quickly if they already have pre-existing organ dysfunction (difficult to know for sure if they did not run bloodwork on her before the spay). I would personally provide pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. I would also try liquid KMR (kitten milk replacer) to see if either of these stimulate her appetite. Often when cats are only drinking solid foods are avoided but liquid or slurry-style foods will be accepted. Calories in whatever manner they will take them, so long as they don't cause illness, is typically recommended.

The shelter will likely put her on a course of antibiotics such as clavamox, amoxicillin, doxycycline or azithromycin. You may wish to talk to them about a course of appetite stimulants, as well, to help keep her appetite where it should be while she recovers from this illness.

If you do have other cats in your home, they've likely already been exposed but it would be ideal to separate them anyhow to try to limit illness transmission. This needs to continue 10 days following the total resolution of her symptoms, just in case, lest you wind up treating the same symptoms in the other felines in the home (again, which may already be a concern since they've been exposed).

If she has problems breathing, you can use saline drops in her nostrils every few hours as needed and you can also use steam therapy in the bathroom during a shower (always monitored) to help break up upper respiratory congestion. She may also benefit from OTC antihistamine therapy such as that of chlorpheniramine. You can give 1-4mg to her up to twice daily to help with congestion.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Minerva?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I took her to the vet. Poor girl had a uri. She has some medicine now. She's doing better.

I'm glad to hear that she's on the mend. Please let me know if I can help further.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She's doing ok. She's pretty lazy though!! Wish i could get her to move about. Today, she was eating much more, but she pooped on the floor.

It's going to take some time. Until she's fully recovered, she's going to feel poorly and want to sleep. Accidents on the floor are common too simply if she feels unwell.