Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have an older cat.. about 15 yrs old. in general he's in

Hi! i have an older cat.. about 15 yrs old. in general he's in good health. He has had a problem in one ear. Lots of black junk - like ear parasites-- i have cleaned it and even gone to the vet to have it looked at
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Wasauski..
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Wasauski?
Customer: Now the problem seems a little worse.. one eye is particially closed and his head is always tilted. and we live in Mexico

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. Just ignore it. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Did your vet take a look into the ear with an otoscope?

Did they take a sample to look under the microscope to see if it is bacterial, yeast, ear mites or a combination of any of those?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They just looked with their eyes.. no scope and no microscope was used to check out the sample. He just looks like it bothers him and i'd like to give hime something to make it better.

Thanks for the information. Most likely, he has an ear infection. A bacterial, yeast or mixed infection are most common. With an older cat, you need to be concerned that there is something else in the ear, like a polyp or tumor that can be causing it. Your vet really needs to look into the ear with an otoscope to see what it looks like and to evaluate the ear drum. With the symptoms you are seeing, it is very possible his ear drum is ruptured, which can be secondary to an infection, trauma, a polyp or even a tumor. If it is affecting the eye muscles, it could be affected the facial nerve that runs through that area. The problem is that you are limited in what you can safely give at home to a cat. Plus, there really isn't an over the counter remedy for this. I am even concerned that just cleaning the ear would make it worse. I would have your vet re-evaluate this, get a good look into the ear and take a sample to evaluate under the microscope. It sounds like he needs to be on steroids for inflammation and pain control. That would probably give him the best relief, but he may need oral antibiotics and antibacterial/antifungal medications to put into the ear. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks!

You are welcome. Let me know if you have further concerns.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how Wasauski is doing and to see if you have any other questions.