Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Can I rub castor oil on my cats abdomen? He is severely

Customer Question

Can I rub castor oil on my cats abdomen? He is severely constipated. We have had 2 sets of X-rays. the 1st at the emergency clinic. Dx with a urinary blockage due to severe constipation. after an enema, antibiotics, pain killer... 400.00. Then I took him to his regular vet the next day for a very distended bladder. More X-rays, changed meds and no urinary blockage but still severe constipation. 200.00. Im mixing pumpkin and milk with wet food with a little olive oil. but Im so worried. He is eating and not squalling but his gut feels like there are big rocks inside.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: He has 3 legs... lol... that is the only other problem he has ever had. I can't afford to keep taking him to the vet. i have maxed out my credit card.
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Britt replied 5 days ago.

Hi there! This is Dr. Britt. I'm an emergency veterinarian. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Britt replied 5 days ago.

Castor oil rubbed on his abdomen won't hurt him, but it won't help him either. Did either the emergency vet or your regular veterinarian prescribe you a laxative? also are you sure he has urinated in the past 24 hours?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
They did not prescribe a laxative. Recommend miralax and one gave a pain killer, the other gave anti-inflammatory meds. I'm not sure how much he urinates. He is indoor outdoor. He has a litter box available but he rarely uses it. He goes to the door.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I don't need to talk. I can type. I'm sorry but I've just paid 600.00! That's a lot of money for me.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
They told me as long as he is eating and not crying... things are probably ok but I don't like the way his abdomen feels. It's more towards the top. I would assume the transverse colon.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  Dr. Britt replied 5 days ago.

Hi yes. I am just typing a response.

Expert:  Dr. Britt replied 5 days ago.

Is the pain medication Buprenex or buprenorphine? It usually comes in a small syringe and is a tiny amount you give by mouth.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Buprenorphine but I haven't given him any. He was given a pain shot that night. I've been giving him metacam.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I'm not going to call. Are you still there?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Why would you ask about his medicine if you were done with this conversation. I need help over here. I realize that this site wants to aggregate us into talking to you but this cat is my baby and I need your help.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Ok... just forget it.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Where can I rate my service?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Such a scam and for a vet to be a part of it. Shame on you!
Expert:  Dr. Britt replied 5 days ago.

Hi there- I'm so sorry, I had a sudden personal emergency

Expert:  Dr. Britt replied 5 days ago.

I asked what the medication was because buprenorphine is an opiate medication, which can slow the gastrointestinal tract and lead to further constipation and so I do no recommend administering this medication if it was sent home. Does he seem to be in pain?

Expert:  Dr. Britt replied 5 days ago.

Also, I apologize if there is an auto message asking you to call. I do not need to talk on the phone, I'm happy to assist you via texting.

Expert:  Dr. Britt replied 5 days ago.

Have you been giving the miralax?

Expert:  Dr. Britt replied 5 days ago.

Again, I'm truly sorry for not responding immediately in our conversation. I am a real person working from home and had to attend to something immediately. I would like to continue to help if you would like.

Expert:  Dr. Britt replied 5 days ago.

I'm going to opt out because I feel I've lost your trust, however my advice would be to stop any pain medication, including Metacam, since that can slow the GI tract and worsen constipation, and to give 2-3ml of Miralax 3 times daily until stools are normal. Also, both your vet and the ER should be reachable for additional advice at no cost to you since they have already seen your baby. Good luck and I hope he feels better!