Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

She sneezes or sniffles still even after a vet vist & shot,

she sneezes or sniffles still even after a vet vist & shot
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: cleo just turned 7 they said she had an infection so we did eveything & bam shes back w the sniffles
JA: There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. How old is cleo?
Customer: am I over reacting
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about cleo?
Customer: 7 years

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs?

What shots are her vet giving her?

What tests have they done?

Does she have any nasal or eye discharge? What color?

For her nose, from one or both nostrils?

Any snoring, change in her voice or her breathing rate?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hold on let me find the papers 1st visit was on Nov than last month she's fine like 2 weeks after X-ray showed nothing little discharge from nose - no door one nostril - her snoring has been controles I was able 2 hear her breath much louder before

No worries, I will wait for you to check those. :)

As well, did you mean there isn't discharge from one nostril? Or is there a bit from both?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Discharge is from one nostril - ugh still looking it was a shot to help w her infection
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Can't find it - & the website for records doesn't show what they used
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
The discharge comes & goes

Hello again,

As I am sure you can appreciate, we do see signs of this nature for a range of reasons. Now if Cleo has had discharge just from one nostril that concerns me because we can see that with nasal based polyps, tumors, and fungal infections. And sometimes those don't come up as clear as we like in nasal x-rays. So, you may want her vet to send those x-rays for reassessment by a specialist radiographer or we might need to consider having them scope that nostril (using a scope with a camera, so we can see what is in the nose and take samples if need be).

Otherwise, I'd note that we can see chronic sneezing, sniffling and clear discharge from the nose with some of our viral cat flu agents. Usually these affect both nostrils but herpes and Calicivirus would still be a concern (so we could test for those as well). As well, allergies could also manifest this way. And with any of those space occupying lesions or the inflammation associated with these; those could give us the increased breathing noise you are hearing.

With this all in mind and further to those above steps, we can try a bit of supportive care for Cleo. Now if that was long acting antibiotic injection she was given, I suspect it was Convenia. Its fine to clear secondary bacteria but as we do, we can also try steam treating her. To do so, you can take her in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting her. You can also use a baby nebulizer, but often cats don’t like things held up to their faces. That said, you can alternatively make little ‘steam tents’ with the kitty in their carrier, the nebulizer, and a bed sheet.

If she is building up mucus that the steam isn't shifting, use a cotton ball moistened with warm water to wipe away crust and mucus. Use saline nasal drops (like Ocean Mist) but not anything medicated. Tilt the head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. Cats hate this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.

Furthermore, to rule out allergies, we could try her with an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.25mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce allergic irritation. Alternatively, you can also use Cetirizine (just 5mg for a cat) once daily. For either, we like to keep the dose low, since it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, these shouldn't be used if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Finally, if herpes is suspect from her previous visits, then we sometimes find the L-lysine (a nutritional supplement) can help them recover quicker. This is available over the counter at vets, pet stores, and even online. They come as gels, powders, and as crushable tablets that can be mixed into food. An average cat dose is 500mg a day.

Overall, I do think these signs are significant and if the discharge is one sided then we do need to tread with care for Cleo. So, do use the above just now to try to settle her signs, but if they linger we may need to look into ruling out those other concerns for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )