Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Kingsland Blvd Animal Clinic
94981754

I think one of my 10mg oxycodone pills might've fell in my

I think one of my 10mg oxycodone pills might've fell in my cats water bowl a couple hours ago. I'm very worried, I'm not positive she ingested any. What signs should I look for? Do I need to take her to the ER?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your cat will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: She might be slightly overweight. Short haired indoor cat.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Please call at(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Okay never mind let's type.

Ok so first you have not seen her drink correctly out of this bowl? Have you checked the bowl for white residue?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I do know she has drank from the bowl. It doesn't contain acetaminophen by the way. It's common for residue to be in the water bowl because of the food. I immediately replaced the water. I've basically misplaced a pill that's very small and I put it on the ledge of a desk. There's a good chance it might've fallen in the bowl.

Symptoms you will see first is her having trouble walking like she is drunk.

Most cats will not drink water that smells or taste funny and most pills will show some white still in still water because they are not being moved and shaken about like they would be in our stomachs.

There is an antidote to be given if this occurs which should be within 1-2 hours. When do we think she could have been exposed?

Oxycodone is an opioid so ataxia (walking drunk), hypotension (low blood pressure -unable to respond or rouse to your voice), and CNS and respiratory depression (slow breathing less than 20 breaths per minute) are most likely effects.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I'm in pre mex, I just have no idea how meds effect cats! She isn't doing any of that. There wasn't a still pill as you said either. She is just vomiting quite often it's making me worry. I did have to use some raid flying insect killer in my room... would that cause the vomiting?

There is vomiting???? When did this start?

How old is she? Any other symptoms? Drinking more urinating more? Diarrhea? Anorexia ( not eating)? I was not given all this information in your post. There could be something completely unrelated to the possible ingestion of the opioid.

Are you there?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I'm here. She started vomiting yesterday I believe. She's slightly overweight.. I don't believe she has diarrhea but she js 13 years old. I'm not positive that she's eating but obviously she looks like weight wise.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I thought it was just hair balls but it's a really dark yellow and total liquid.

Ok so she is vomiting Bile.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Basically yes, that's why I was concerned about the pill. I'm trying to figure out why she's doing this.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I just took this picture of her.

Vomiting is fortunately not a common symptom of an opioid ingestion.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Perhaps it's contact with the fly spray? She wasn't around it much and the room was well ventilated. What would cause a cat to vomit bile?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Oh no... I use a stainless steel water bowl. Does that look like that black fungal infection? She's had it before ugh.

No something internally is going on. How old is she?

So possibilities of why she is vomiting

1. Inflammatory bowel disease: there are pockets of immune system cells throughout the entire gastrointestinal tract. Sometimes these immune system cells can get reactive towards the main protein source in the cats food (chicken, beef, fish etc). Often an abdominal ultrasound is diagnostic, steroids and probiotics can help treat as well as a diet change

2. Pancreatitis : this condition can be chronic and be a low grade smoldering pancreatitis that never gets worse. This is inflammation in the pancreas. Ultrasound of the abdomen is diagnostic as well as a feline lipase snap test with blood. Generally a short course of medications can put this to rights then monitor for recurrence of symptoms because once a feline has this once they are prone to it happening again.

3. Lymphoma : this is a type of cancer that unfortunately is really commonly found in the intestines tracts of older kitties (can be any age, but more common in adult older cats) . An abdominal ultrasound is pretty diagnostic for a strong suspicion of this disease

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
She is thirteen. :( now I'm extremely worried. What do you think is wrong from what I've told you?

I just listed a few possibilities above. Since she is stable tonight we have 2 options.

1. Find an emergency veterinarian to examine her and get some blood work and imaging done ( if she is stable it may be better to wait due to costs of the emergency clinics)

2. Keep an eye on her tonight for the symptoms I talked about above and if they are seen get her seen immediately. If she is ok overnight then schedule a veterinary appointment Monday to get some diagnostics done to figure out what is causing the chronic vomiting.

Good luck.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me for helping you.

I am also here for follow up questions. Just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

Does this make sense? I can get you more information about the conditions listed above if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
What about fly spray?

No I do not believe the fly spray is the cause. I think there is something else occurring.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Oh okay... :( I'll take her to the vet she's very stable right now.

Good luck! I know it is scary when out pets get sick, but once you get some testing done we can get it figured out.

Our*