Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My cat has fleas in spite of my using Advantage once a

My cat has fleas in spite of my using Advantage once a month. Her next dose is not until April 1st. How do I get rid of the ones she has now?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Eva
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Eva?
Customer: she has a heart murmur and thyroid (hyper) condition

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Populations of fleas have developed resistance to the imidacloprid in Advantage. It would be prudent to switch to one of the newer flea products in a different class of insecticide such as Activyl (indoxacarb), Cheristin (spinetoram), Comfortis (spinosad), or Vectra (dinotefuran & pyriproxyfen). These are all prescription products available through Eva's vet. You can purchase the oral Capstar (nitenpyram) over the counter in pet/feed stores, however, which will kill any fleas on Eva within minutes of your dosing her. All of these products are safe even though Advantage was given at the first of the month. Be sure to treat your premises with an over the counter area treatment spray that contains an insect growth regulator (IGR) such as Siphotrol Area Treatment Spray containing the IGR methoprene. The IGRs don't allow flea eggs and larvae to develop into adult fleas and so the life cycle of the flea is broken.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
What is premesis? Do I do the spray and the Capstar too?

premises = a house or building, together with its land and outbuildings

Yes, it's essential to treat both the pet and environment concomitantly. You'll need to dose Eva outside your home and keep her outside until you've finished spraying and all areas are thoroughly dry.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?