Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

How much does this cost? Ok. I recently adopted a new cat, 7

Hi how much does this cost?
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: Ok. I recently adopted a new cat, 7 yrs. old. He seems to be having urinary tract trouble. Its Sunday and my emergency vet is not very accessible or affordable so I hope to wait til tomorrow to see my regular vet.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?
Customer: Yesterday I found a spot of blood on the floor but didn't understand where it came from. This morning he was restless, going from place to place and squatting so I coukd see that there was blood in the drops of urine he was putting out. Right now I have him in a separate room with a clean litterbox so I will
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Walter
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Walter?
Customer: Not really, but the person I got him from said he's had the UTI before

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb adn will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern about Walter.

While I'm certain that he's uncomfortable, as long as he's producing urine when he squats, this wouldn't be considered a medical emergency. You can wait to have him seen by your regular vet.

The best thing you did was to isolate him so that you could monitor his litter box for evidence of urine...even small amounts.

What you can also do would be to push fluids. Many cats aren't big water drinkers but you could offer him canned food (if he's not already eating it) or low sodium chicken or beef broth.

Since stress often plays a role in these conditions, it might be helpful to purchase a product called Feliway which is a natural pheromone specifically formulated for cats and intended to reduce anxiety. It comes in a diffuser which can be plugged into the wall or a spray and can often be purchased at local pet/grain stores and online.

I hope this helps. Deb

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you.

You're more than welcome.

Best of luck with him. Regards, Deb

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I hope he was producing urine. It seemed to me that the blood was not at 100%, but "watered down", but not by much. I will try to get some liquid in him, he doesn't like canned food but after this he will have to like it I think

Some cats will produce what looks like pure blood and other urines don't appear to contain any blood at all to the naked eye (although they will microscopically). What you're seeing sounds "normal" in this context.

I usually do suggest a canned food for these patients with recurrent problems since increased water consumption can often help flush out the bladder

Deb

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I just brought him some broth but he didn't seem interested, he hasn't done anything in the new litter box but he did seem to be resting comfortably and I believe he actually did drink some water from the bowl I had put in there. Are there any signs I should watch for that would tell me he MUST go to emergency vet today? (Will take him to my vet tomorrow of course]

If he's squatting and no urine is being produced, this would be an ER type of situation. This is about the only sign that would indicate he needs to be seen today; otherwise it can wait until tomorrow.

Deb

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ok, I will watch for that. Thanks so much, this was very reassuring! Have a good day.

You're more than welcome and thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

Best of luck with him. Deb