Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat recently had taken an ace for a very car ride. Half

My cat recently had taken an ace for a very long car ride. Half an hour after taking it, he almost comotose, was out cold. I rushed him to the vet, and he stayed there for five nights while they did test. It turns out he has kidney disease and ibd. They were giving him sub w fluids and he was doing a lot better. On the last day though he started pacing in circles, head pressing, getting stuck in corners. I brought him home that day and have been rapidly searching the Internet ever since for the cause
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. How old is recently?
Customer: last week
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about recently?
Customer: No. But is it possible that he could haveHepatic Encephalopathy and the vet not be aware of it cause his liver levels aren't that bad.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I think he is consitpated as well. His potassium level was on the lower end of normal at the beginning of this whole ideal. I asked for a full blood panel yesterday but won't get the results until Monday. It's just hard seeing my cat in such a weird mental state.

I am sorry to hear about your cat being so sick.

How old is he?

Head pressing, circling, and getting stuck in corners are signs of brain/neurologic disease. If he had hepatoencephalopathy, I would expect his liver numbers on blood tests to be abnormal.

He could have other brain disease, such as a brain tumor, meningitis, infection, etc. He could have high blood pressure, stroke, blood clot.

How low is the potassium? How is his blood sugar?

Thiamine deficiency, although rare, can cause neurologic signs.

Why do you think he is constipated? Is he straining to defecate? Is he eating?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
He's 11 almost 12.potassium was 3.5 and the normal level started at 3.4 cytology of liver said mild hepatic lipidosis and mild mixed neutrophilic and lymphocytic/plasmacyic hepatitis/cholangiohepatios. I think it would be easier to accept it was stemming from the brain if it didn't happens admist a kidney/liver episode. But I was gonna try and get him into a neurologist
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
He is eating but not drinking. I think he's only pooped once with in the past five days very small rock like poops. I have been giving him sub q fluids but was also going to orally give him liquids

The potassium is low normal then, not a worry.

If he has hepatic lipidosis, and cholangiohepatitis, he does have liver disease. This could be hepatoencephalopathy.

Good he is eating. Keeping him hydrated will help with constipation. Adding a little pumpkin to his food might help. Try offering tuna juice or chicken broth if he is not drinking.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
How wouldna vet fully detect Hepatic Encephalopathy. My vet said that it would have come back on cytology but something is telling me he has it. I was going to get him pedialite to make sure he hydrated. Also saw vets recommended lucolose. I want to do everything possible to get him in between vet visits.

Hepatic encephalopathy means brain disease that is caused by liver disease. It is not a diagnosis by biopsy (except possibly a brain biopsy). The liver biopsy confirms liver disease, so his brain disease could be from his liver disease.

Lactulose is a treatment for hepatoencephalopathy, and can help with constipation as well.

Giving vitamin K might also be a good idea if he has liver disease. It can help prevent blood clots.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Besides a Brian biopsy how would they diagnosis it. I am asssuming it's not that common. Yet my vet said his liver cytology says it's not HE. I want my cat taking the lucolose. At this point his strange state needs whatever it could get. I just truly think this is what he has.

The diagnosis would be identifying there is liver disease, and seeing the brain disease.

You could have a test done to measure the amount of ammonia in his blood stream. If it is high, this is probably hepatoencephalopathy. If there are high levels of ammonia, from his liver disease, it affects the brain. However, it is often assumed if a cat is showing signs of encephalopathy (brain disease) and has liver disease, that there is a connection.

Thank you for the good rating. Please let me know now he is doing.