Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

He's suddenly started jumping around, yowling and licking at

He's suddenly started jumping around, yowling and licking at himself frantically
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Thunder and 12-13
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Thunder?
Customer: He's been really healthy but recently I got depressed and neglected the litter box, so I'm worried he picked something up from that.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he been showing these signs?

Where is he licking specifically?
Can he pass urine and stool normally?
Any changes to the skin (ie pustules, pimples, redness, crusts/scaling, ulcers, or sores)?

Any discomfort if you press on his belly or lift his tail?

Any changes around his rectum (ie redness, sores, lumps)?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
He's licking all over, though mostly chest and legs. No other signs of discomfort or distress. Though he now seems exhausted and is no longer frantic but can't sleep for long before he wakes up and licks a bit more.

Poor Thunder,

Now with your initial history, this did sound like a reaction to pain. Often we can see this with insect stings, pinched nerves, abscesses, or blocked anal glands. That said, with his age, there would also be concern of underlying arthritis causing discomfort. That said, if he is licking without a set focus, I'd still question an insect stings/bites +/- allergic reaction.

In that case, we can try to counter that and allergies in general with an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.25mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce allergic irritation. Alternatively, you can also use Cetirizine (just 5mg for a cat) once daily. For either, we like to keep the dose low, since it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, these shouldn't be used if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Of course,if we use these but the signs don't settle, then we'd want to plan to have him to his local vet so that they can check for any pain foci but most importantly start kitty safe pain relief like Metacam (since we have no home OTC cat safe pain relief options). That way we can try to get this settled for him and let him get comfortable despite this nagging irritation.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )