Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

I am wondering what the normal course for a URI in cats is.

I am wondering what the normal course for a URI in cats is. One week ago my cat started sneezing. We took her to the vet on Wednesday and the vet determined it was probably a viral infection so no antibiotics were prescribed. The sneezing has since stopped but now she sounds very congested and is occasionally breathing through her mouth. She is eating and using the bathroom with no problems and her energy levels seem to be fine. I am mostly concerned about the congestion and how long it will last. She is 1 year old and we just adopted her from the shelter exactly 2 weeks ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan. Currently I'm reviewing your question, and will be back to you in a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your cat is feeling this way. I agree with you that this has taken too long, and it's also changed which is another indicator this condition needs more help. The length of time this has taken to progress and the congested changes indicates to me that the viral infection has now progressed to a sinus or lower airway bacterial infection. As long as she's eating this is not an emergency and likely can wait until Monday but she needs to be re-examined or possibly the vet will send home antibiotics. In the meantime put her in the bathroom with a hot shower running so she can breathe in the steam for about 10 min once or twice a day. This will help her break up a little of the congestion. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did help, please leave a rating. Dr. Dan