Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

When I got home from work today I noticed that his left eye

Customer Question

When I got home from work today I noticed that his left eye was swollen, watery, and seems painful. He let me look at it, and I saw a little scratch on his eye that I'm assuming is from our new kitten. I was just wondering if there is anything that I could do for him to help alleviate the problem since I can't get him into the vet until tomorrow
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: I don't think this is related to flea medication. I think my kitten scratched my cat Gary's eye when they were playing.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gary?
Customer: No ok, thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your little one. When an eye is suddenly being held shut / squinting, and it seems swollen and painful - a scratch / ulcer has to be a very suspicious situation. Sometimes these can be seen with the naked eye. At my ER some can only be seen when a special dye called fluorescein has been used to stain the eye for defects in the cornea which come from ulcers / scratches. If there is a kitten in the house, then them playing and a scratch to the eye could have happened. As far as what can you do at home for this? Unfortunately nothing. You shouldn't place anything in the eye or try to give him anything for pain relief. There are no safe pain medications for cats that an owner has at home. The best thing you can do is to get him to your vet / ER clinic as soon as you can so they can confirm a diagnosis and start up topical medications. They may start some oral medications as sometimes the cornea has been punctured by a claw and this can set up an infection inside the eye.