Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have 2 cats and they have always generally had normal

Customer Question

Hi - I have 2 cats and they have always generally had normal bowel movements. A few weeks back, they both had diarrhea for a day or two and since that time, they often have normal bowel movement followed by a very strong odor runny bowel movement a few minutes or a few hours later. The PCR test came back normal. Any thoughts as to what this might be?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  angelica41372 replied 3 months ago.

Good evening,

How can I help

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Did you see my question?

Yes I did. What PCR test? Was a stool check preformed? Was there a change in diet?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
PCR test is a type of stool test. No change in diet.

Yes, was just wondering what type of PCR test. Was it for Giardia, Clostridium etc? What food are the cats eating? Were they dewormed?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have attached what it was all for. They both eat different foods - so it wouldn't be the food. They were not dewormed - but they are indoor cats.

Impressive. They were all negative. Even though they are indoor, I would do a trial of panacur and metrondiazole. The Metro is an anti inflammatory for the bowels and see if they respond. Also a higher fiber food. Odd both are acting the same. Usually that means there is a common factor affecting both.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Whatever is affecting the one is affecting the other - so I honestly would rule out food since they were both doing fine on their respective foods prior to this occuring. It would seem odd to me that an anti-inflammatory would be the answer since again it affected both at the same time.

Metro is an anti inflammatory and antibiotic for the gi tract. It also will treat Helicobactor and other bacterial organisms.