Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Kingsland Blvd Animal Clinic
94981754

My apartment has bed bugs and an exterminator is coming this

Customer Question

My apartment has bed bugs and an exterminator is coming this week. I expect they'll use a pesticide made of pyrethrins and pyrethoids in the bedroom. We have a small to medium sized 1 bedroom apartment. If we keep the cat out of the bedroom for a week, is that safe enough to protect his health? Is there risk he will get sick from the chemicals? After treatment, is it safe if the bedroom door or window is opened, and fumes from the bedroom get into the living room, where the cat is? I read that cats are more sensitive to these chemicals than dogs, so I want to be sure it's ok.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Meghan Denney replied 5 months ago.
Hi I am Dr Denney. Are you sure they are just treating the bedroom?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The plan is for them to just treat the bedroom. Maybe a closet right outside the bedroom, near the living room.
I would recommend seeing if your cat could stay with a friend for a few days just to be on the safe side. You are correct that cats are more sensitive than dogs so it would be better to be cautious.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If we get a hotel over night for 1 night, is that safe enough?
I would try for at least 2 days and leave the windows open for at least 6-8 hours before you bring your fur baby home. Hopefully it's not too cold where you are right now. There are no guarantees unfortunately because I don't know what they will use. I know when I treat my house my 3 cats stay at my clinic for at least 3 days and I air the house out 6-8 hrs before i bring them home.
Also wash all sheets and bedding etc or remove them
From where they are treating
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Oh ok, so you've had to use these kinds of pesticides and did this routine wth your cats and had no issues with their health? Thank you.
I took the precautions I spoke about and yes my own cats did fine.
I did remove my cats for a few days and aired the house out and they did fine.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what do you think I should do with half open bags of litter and food? My cat also has a fabric/zipper-enclosed litter box. Is it safe enough to zip that up and put the half-open food/litter in garbage bags?

The garbage bags are good ideas. The fabric on the litter box can absorb fumes though so it may be a good idea to remove it from the apartment for the same amount of times as the cat. You can also go and get a plastic litter box which won't absorb the fumes.

If you are taking your cat to the hotel for a few days just take the litter box with you so you don't need to go get a new one or worry about the fabric one getting contaminated.