Dr. Lori
Dr. Lori, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
96382098

I have an older male cat with chronic kidney disease. He

I have an older male cat with chronic kidney disease. He stopped eating & drinking morning of Jan 9 & is restless. Vet said his kidney values were not worse; suspected UTI & gave him an antibiotic shot. Test results today showed a little blood in the urine. I took him back as for 1.5 day he has not eaten or drunk yet. He got an injection of Famotidine and mirtazapine tablet & when he got home ~2 pm he ate 1/3 cup chicken. Now 5 hours later he still has not drunk any water yet nor is interested in eating any canned food or more chicken. I gave him 150 cc fluids subk and Baytril. He is still unusually restless. I will take him back tomorrow morning if he is still not eating or drinking but not sure my vet is getting closer to finding what is ailing him. Any ideas that I could suggest to her? Also as he is not drinking, was thinking about giving him another 150 cc fluid tonight; would that be appropriate or could I give him too much?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: I think I captured it all. Thanks.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Marvin

Hi my name is***** and I can offer some advice.

Give me a moment to re-read your question.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please let me know if you need any additional information.

I'm sorry my computer was malfunctioning!! Im here.

So did marvin have the SQ fluid this am?

I will not be able to stay here much longer but I can type you an answer. I will check back tomorrow to see if you need more help.

If the fluid were this am then yes...you can give more tonight.

You are on all the right medications for what is going on.

The baytril can make them feel crumby and not want to eat. So you could change this and see if it helps

The restlessness makes me think he is in pain.

I would consider pancreatitis as a cause for this. Here is a link with good info.

http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/endocrine/c_ct_pancreatitis

There are test for this.

You could also just try pain medications and see of he gets better.

If you are hitting a brink wall abdominal ultrasound it the next step for Marvin.

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

How are you guys doing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Marvin appears to be getting better as he started eating and finally drinking. He also now looks at me when I speak to him and has stopped his wandering around the house behavior. So think we are on track for recovering. Thanks much for your help and calming me down the other night!

Yay ok very good!!