Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I rescue and have a cat that has chronic diarrhea and came

Customer Question

I rescue and have a cat that has chronic diarrhea and came from a farm. We have tried Marquis Paste, Albon, rx Clay, metronidazole, and are now trying steroids. We know another cat who was rescued and her family had her tested for tritrichonomis foetis and she took ronizadole and it took care of the diarrhea. I would like to be able to get the ronidazole and try it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Myong. She is about 2 or 3
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Myong?
Customer: We are giving her probiotic daily in chicken broth. She drops stool out of her bottom without it.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will wait for your reply

I'm sorry to hear of this with Myong. Regrettably, ronidazole must be compounded from bulk powder by a veterinary formulating pharmacy and ideally put into gelatin capsules as this drug is potentially carcinogenic to humans. Myong's attending vet would need to prescribe this. We're not allowed to do so through this venue.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is a product on ebay for pigeons. It is ronidazole 50. Would it be possible to dose from this?

I'm familiar with those product. "They're unsafe to use in cats due to the dosage required and the unpalatability (very bitter) of the powder and solution." (Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook, Plumb, et. al., 8th Ed., 2015)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. I wish that your system had seen that you couldn't help me and hadn't taken my $22. That could have almost spayed and neutered a feral cat.

I understand. Please contact***@******.*** or http://ww2.justanswer.com/help for questions concerning your financial obligation to this site.