Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

Our cat is an outdoor and came to us as a stray. During this

Customer Question

Our cat is an outdoor and came to us as a stray. During this snow I have kept her inside during the night and for a couple of days. She is begging and begging to go out, but it is still freezing. She won't eat nor use the litter box for her jobs only urination. I just can't force myself to put her out in the snow. What should I do and how long do you think it will take her to become accustomed to indoors. Thank you, ***** ***** Gastonia, NC
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** her age is unknown except a guess from the vet because she just showed up at our house. Around 6-8 years.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Allie?
Customer: No, except she just keeps neowing and running from door to window. I am afraid she will just get too frustrated.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning Phyllis and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It is hard for outside cats to acclimate to the indoors even though the weather is terrible for them. The thing that may help, Phyllis, is to purchase Feliway at the pet store. This is a feline pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will decrease Allie's anxiety and may help her adapt to this environment. If this does not work, it may be best to let her outside with a way to get inside if she chooses. In some cases, the feral cats will never adapt and as long as you allow her the option, she will remember where the food is and return quickly to the warmer spot. That is really all you can do, Phyllis....you are doing all you can for your sweet Allie.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I should have gotten to you sooner to cancel my application to JustAnswer. Thank you for writing me, but can I just not persue this issue as I do have a local vet, but just got excited myself. Thank you Phyllis Corn

No problem, Phyllis....I hope Allie can stay warm....

Have a great day!!