Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

He was outside and got into a fight i think with another

Customer Question

he was outside and got into a fight i think with another cat. he wasnt limping or crying last night but now he is. he wont put any weight on his front paw and cries out when i touch it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Fuzzyface and 8 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Fuzzyface?
Customer: not that i can think of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now this isn't an uncommon situation. Fuzzyface's adrenaline will be wearing off and he will now be feeling soreness from that fight. Now if he is will let you handle this paw, we need to check for wounds from bites or claws. Make sure to check between toes and paw pads. Any found should be flushed with salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) 2-3 times daily. Afterwards and as long as we can keep him from licking (we may need an e-collar for the short term), we can apply an OTC antibiotic cream though do avoid those with numbing agents as they aren't cat friendly. Of course, if he is very sore or the foot is puffy, then we'd want to have him seen by his local vet once they are open. Often since cat mouths are so bacteria laden, we tend to need antibiotics to head off the development of cat bite abscesses. As well, at the same time, his vet can start cat safe pain relief like Metacam (since human OTC ones are toxic for this species) to nip this in the bud and help get wee Fuzzyface comfortable.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.