Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

What are the concerns for housing a cat with possible herpes

Customer Question

what are the concerns for housing a cat with possible herpes virus with an elderly cat? Is there a test for feline herpes?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?
Customer: nothing seems to be wrong, we just want to take her into our home but have concerns about the transfer of the herpes to our elderly kitty.
JA: Where does the kitten seem to hurt?
Customer: no
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: a year ago she was spayed and papers noted possible herpes in a slightly clouded eye. It doesn't seem to have progressed and she's been living outside this past year. We plan to have her retested and vaccinations updated as well.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?
Customer: no, the cat is 2.5 years old now. it's more of a concern about the 2 cats interacting and possibility of compromising our old kitty's health.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Is your elderly cat up to date on vaccines?