Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My cat has stomatitus had all but his front teeth removed

Customer Question

my cat has stomatitus had all but his front teeth removed has been treated with depo medrol injection and convina.this has been going on for one year is there any new treatment /
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your cat?
Customer: my cat has stomatitis
JA: Where does your cat seem to hurt?
Customer: mouth only has front teeth
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: no treatment lasts for a month and has to have shots again
JA: Is your cat eating normally?
Customer: yes but not very much although he is 13 pounds drinks ok but eating slows down near the end of shot cycle
JA: OK. No appetite problems. What is the cat's name?
Customer: gangster
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about gangster?
Customer: not to my knowledge blood tests normal exrayed jaw and body all neg.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 2 months ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 11 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

If your cat has not been tested for FIV, I would do that. Otherwise, I would try oral steroids. You start with twice daily, then go down to once daily, then you try to maintain on every other day steroids. It is much cheaper than the injections and ends up with lower amounts of steroid in the system long term, which is healthier. It comes in pills or liquid. Other than that, you can try an immunosuppressive medication such as cyclosporine, which will have fewer side effects and should produce the same results.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are not necessary, but are appreciated, as they go directly to me rather than to the website. Best of luck.

Hi there... I see that you read my response but have not replied back to me... how is your cat doing? Did you understand my response? Is there any way I can assist you further?