Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Something is wrong with my cat's eye. it looks like the

Something is wrong with my cat's eye. it looks like the pupil is blown
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Norman, and he's about 17
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Norman,?
Customer: no, he's in good health i do have a picture

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that Norman's pupil looks blown.

The paperclip icon on the toolbar at the top of the page will allow you to upload a picture from your computer, which would be very helpful for me.

Does Norman have any health issues that you are aware of, particularly hyperthyroidism or kidney disease?

How is he feeling otherwise? Any change in appetite or water consumption?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. Here is a photo of the eye.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No other health issues that I am aware of... he's old, but in good health, and a good eater.

Thanks very much for the picture.

I am seeing an irregular shaped left eye pupil compared to the right with a pigmented mass within the pupil extending into the anterior chamber of his eye. It's hard to tell whether this is old blood or an actual mass originating from the interior of his eye.

Give me several moments to type up my thoughts.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This just appeared today, if that helps
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If you look at the right eye, it also looks like its beginning to enlarge (the bottom edge looks strange)

That does help, thank you.

This may be a benign condition called an iris cyst, or it can be a cancerous change which is actually a tumor called a melanoma.

Iris cysts are see through, originate from the ciliary body and are usually free floating. They sometimes get caught between the lens and cornea (clear outer past of the eye). We see them more in dogs, particularly Boston Terriers and Golden Retrievers, but they can be found in both dogs and cats.

Melanomas are not free floating and are usually not see through. They will eventually cause inflammation and pain as well as cataract formation, retinal detachment, and glaucoma so we recommend cats with a melanoma have the eye enucleated (removed). Even then however by the time we catch them they have often invaded into the tissue behind his eye, so an ultrasound of his eye to try to determine that would be very helpful.

Lymphoma is another tumor that we can see in a cat's eye, although it is generally found in the back of the eye, and we usually find it when we see a detached retina or bleeding in the eye.

If indeed this actually bleeding in his eye that usually points to some sort of inflammation in the eye (uveitis).

Inflammation can be from blunt or penetrating trauma, an infection including bacterial, viral (such as feline leukemia, feline immunodeficiency virus, Herpes, or feline infectious peritonitis), parasitic (toxoplasmosis), or fungal (cryptococcosis, or blastomycosis are two possibilities), glaucoma (increased eye pressure), or even cancer (melanoma, lymphoma, or sarcoma). Some cats with hypertension due to heart disease (primary or secondary to hyperthyroidism) or kidney disease can experience bleeding into their eye and/or a detached retina. Usually a detached retina looks like a floating veil seen in the pupil rather than what we are seeing with your fellow.

With what I can see from your picture I would be most concerned about bleeding (likely secondary to hypertension) or a melanoma.

It is difficult to tell which one your fellow has developed from the picture.

I highly recommend your kitty see a veterinary ophthalmologist to determine what is going on with his eye and what treatment should be pursued.

Here is a link to help you find one in your area:

http://member.acvo.org/search_results

His right eye does have a somewhat irregular iris border, but that is fairly common in older animals, and is a degenerative, non harmful change which does not affect function.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you :)

You are very welcome, my best to Norman. Please let me know what they find with him.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have not yet been able to get him into the vet. I'm trying for tomorrow morning.

Thanks for letting me know, I'll watch for an update from you soon.