Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My cat got a Victor Fly trap stuck to here (she is so mad)

Customer Question

Hi, hello! My cat got a Victor Fly trap stuck to here (she is so mad) and I have had real trouble getting it out of her fur
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Bramble - she is 4
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bramble?
Customer: I'm confused, are we just chatting or will I be billed for this?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

There normally is a charge for this service by the way.

This must be stressful for Bramble, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. The first thing to say is that the glues on these fly traps are not toxic by ingestion for dogs and cats so Bramble should be just fine as far as toxicity goes.

2. The glue is sticky though and this can present a problem with removal.

3. What I normally recommend in this sort of situation is to use an adhesive remover called Goo Gone, this works works very well. You can use a cotton ball soaked in the Goo Gone and wipe the glue off any affected part of your cat's fur. Then wash the area with Dawn detergent and rinse well to ensure you wash the Goo Gone off as this can possibly cause problems if ingested.

4. Alternatively you can work in the likes of butter or olive oil for a few minutes as these will soften the glue and make the trap easy to remove.

5. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Bramble is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the fly trap problem ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott