Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

He's lethargic, weak and seems congested Is there something

Customer Question

he's lethargic, weak and seems congested Is there something over the counter that can be given to him?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Chris is the cats name and he's 14
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chris?
Customer: no, he's always been active and healthy.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 3 months ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 11 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

This sounds like an upper respiratory infection. There is no medication you can give except a daily probiotic... you can give human ones or buy some at a pet store. Then you can bring the cat into the bathroom twice daily and run a hot, steamy shower with no fan on and let the cat breathe the steam for 10mins at a time. Antibiotics will resolve this quickly, though, so ideally you should see a vet. But if that is not financially feasible you can try this first. You can also use a saline nasal spray and turn the bottle upside down and drip it into the cat's nostrils and that can help get the congestion/snot out.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are not necessary, but are appreciated, as they go directly to me rather than to the website. Best of luck.

Hi there... I see that you read my response but have not replied back to me... how is your cat doing? Did you understand my response? Is there any way I can assist you further?