Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Leaving small wet spots where sleeping, Rocky about 3 1/2

Customer Question

leaving small wet spots where sleeping
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Rocky about 3 1/2 based on estimate at shelter when I got him last year
JA: How old is Rocky?
Customer: just said 3 1/2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rocky?
Customer: He is a neutered cat and I have only noticed the spots for 3 or 4 weeks
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 10 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you tell from which end or where on the body the fluid is being deposited?

How large of a wet spot is this?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I don't know what part of body it might be. I don't think it is drooling and I have not seen anything that looks like a woundSize is maybe 1" by 2-3"
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Nope. no phone call

Any color to the fluid left behind? Is it a well-defined area or smeared across the bedding?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Kind of in between in that it does not appear like a soaked in deposit but definitely like some dribbling

Unfortunately there's no way to be sure through the computer on what this is. The three things that come to mind are 1) drooling due to contentment or oral disease 2) grooming an area of the body and leaving a moist spot on the bedding and 3) urine.

At his age, all three of these are possible. To avoid an unnecessary vet visit, I would wash the bed and prepare it for him to sleep on and try to catch him while he is there. Determine if he is grooming himself before sleep. Remove him before he gets up to leave and see which end it's coming from. You can also arrange a physical exam, which will be needed anyhow if you can't determine where the fluid is coming from, to have an oral exam performed and also an examination on the genitals and probably also a urinalysis to rule out infection.

Keep a close eye out for any litter box avoidance or frequency, particularly if he's straining or going often. Also keep an eye out for change in food and water intake habits and any drooling which might occur between sleeping sessions.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800