Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Our cat was exposed to Vikane (termite treatment) under the

Customer Question

Our cat was exposed to Vikane (termite treatment) under the tent for approx 3 hrs; now 24 hrs later showing signs of lethargy and some resp distress. Has not eaten and did drink H20 and urinated sm amount. Is there treatment or what should we do. I'm sure she's dehydrated also
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. It could be an infection. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: Usually healthy; kept as a stray; relatively still young; maybe 6 yrs old.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Shenzi ; Swahili (sp) for "savage "
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Shenzi. In experimental animals, central nervous system depression, tremors, seizures, pulmonary edema, and liver and kidney injury have been reported most likely due to fluoride toxicosis. Regrettably, there's no specific antidote and these patients are treated symptomatically and supportively. I would expect Shenzi's vet to perform a through physical exam on Shenzi including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and X-rays of Shenzi's thorax (chest) and then treat predicated upon findings in this exam.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.