Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat has been to the vet twice. He has been straining to

Customer Question

My cat has been to the vet twice. He has been straining to go and has been peeing throughout the house. When I took him to the vet he was not blocked but did have crystals in his pee. They gave him a shot of convenia. They also did an X-ray and he has no stones in his bladder. They prescribed prazosin and I gave him his second dose this morning by putting it on his food and making sure he ate all of it which he did. However I have not noticed any changes he is still frequenting the litter box and going through out the house. He is fine through out the night and only does this in the am and afternoon. When should the prazosin prevent him from straining and how do I know if the antiboctic worked
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Brad
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Brad?
Customer: No
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Brad. I see he got an antibiotic, Convenia, which is a very easy way to give a cat antibiotics since it is a 14 day injection, but in my experience is not a great urinary antibiotic. The only way to tell if it is working and the infection is gone would be to do urinalysis.

I see he is taking prazosin, which helps to relax his urethra so urine can pass. I might consider also giving him something for pain and inflammation, such as Onsior, an anti inflammatory medication.

If crystals were seen in his urine, you might ask about starting him on a crystal dissolving diet such as C/D or Urinary S/O.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

Let me know if this is helpful and what other questions you have.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When should I expect to see him stop straining? They did also give me something for the pain which is buprinorphine which is really hard for me to give to him. And they gave me sample food for urinary problems. I'm just worried because he is still straining and going through out the house. Would I have him get a urinalysis after 14 days for the antibiotics to be out of his system
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

Buprenorphine is a good pain medication, but does not treat inflammation. Likely his bladder is inflamed. The food may help dissolve the crystals. You do not have to wait 14 days to have a urinalysis done; you would have to wait that long to do a culture of his urine.

If he is still straining, he may not stop until he receives different treatment. He will stop straining when his bladder is not inflamed and painful, when any spasms in the muscles of his bladder and urethra stop, and/or when the crystals and infection in his bladder are gone.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

Please let me know if this was helpful, and what other questions you have, and how he is doing.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I have not heard back from you; I hope you were able to see my response. How is your cat doing?