Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My geriatric cat (20) has been urinating & defecating

My geriatric cat (20) has been urinating & defecating outside the litter box frequently. She also has a discharge around her urine hole. (What is the proper name of this anyway?) This discharge makes the fur around the hole sticky and yellow. There's not a lot, but def noticeable. Today, I tried to clean it with soap & warm water. This was difficult, so I carefully trimmed some of the affected fur. I uncovered a small spot next to her urine hole that was red & irritated. Not actually bleeding, skin not broken, but very weak looking. While I was cleaning the area, some urine shot out. Maybe due to stress. She hates when I try to do anything to her at all.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. How old is of?
Customer: 20
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about of?
Customer: She has kidney problems, but we're treating only with low protein food. She's been remarkably healthy throughout her life, but has some typical age-related issues. A UTI a couple years ago. Excessive meowing. Mild-seeming arthritis. (She can still jump impressively now & then.)

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

It sounds like you may be dealing with another UTI or even pyelonephritis (infection of the kidney). Less likely, there could be stones in the bladder causing the irritation and urinating out of the box. The defecating out of the box is probably due to painful urination and then litter box aversion.

The dark urine around the vulva (urine hole) is likely a mix of bacteria, inflammatory cells, protein and blood. It should clear up once the UTI is under control.

The next step would be getting a urine culture directly from the bladder to see what bug we're dealing with (usually e coli) and then to determine which antibiotics will work against it. I would also check her kidney values to make sure they didn't take a hit with the infection.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you. This is very helpful. We'll be visiting the Vet soon to get a specific dx & meds.

You're welcome, happy to help.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?