Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

About a week ago we clipped an ingrown dewclaw on our cat.

Hello. About a week ago we clipped an ingrown dewclaw on our cat. We've been treating it with Epsom salts in warm water and with peroxide. We noticed today that it still smells a bit when you get really close to the paw and around the nail looks a bit crusty. We also started to apply polysporin to it as well. We had an antibiotic called in too and started that just today. (We live very far from a vets office). Just wondering if this is normal or not? She is eating, drinking etc. just as normal as ever. Also noticed she uses the paw to clean her head some now when she wouldn't do that for a few days after we clipped the claw. We also noticed a tiny bit of swelling too.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. How old is in?
Customer: 13? I think. We inherited her from my Nan
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about in?
Customer: Not that I can think of no. The puncture hole from where her claw grew in is closed over now. And she doesn't favour the paw anymore. Just that it smells when you get really close to the paw and that it's crusty and a bit swollen

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H and I am a licensed veterinarian.

I understand that your poor had a puncture in the paw and it now smells and is swollen. These are signs of an abscess (infected pocket underneath the skin), which is very common in cats in particular because the outer skin layer closes too fast, leaving bacteria to fester underneath the skin surface.

This is not normal and the abscess needs to be drained and/or treated with oral antibiotics. You should also try to remove the crust and flush it thoroughly with an antiseptic. I would recommend either Betadyne diluted 50:50 with warm water or Chlorhexidine solution 3% diluted.

Do you have a picture of the area to share with me?

- Dr. H

I know cleaning it with Hydrogen Peroxide seems like the most logical choice, as many owners do. However Hydrogen Peroxide is actually not a very good antiseptic in pets. It can actually caused dying off of tissue, so I would recommend discontinuing this also.

What is the name of the antibiotic that you just started today?

- Dr. H

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Drhollowayvet
Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Hello, the antibiotic just finished today and was called Clavomox (not sure if that is spelled right). I got the crust cleaned away and have continued with polysporin. Can't seem to get a photo to upload. The swelling is almost fully gone and has a very very faint smell left and nothing as horrible as the smell was before. She has also been using her paw more now too. Just wondering if I should be concerned that there is a bit of a smell left or if that is ok? Also the nail has a bit of black and brownish stuff by the nail bed, sort of looks like dirt maybe, but its in like layers.
Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Oh I guess the image did come through this time. Should also mention their is some hair missing because she licked it alot when it was bothering her. Plus she licks the polysporin.

Oh hello. I was unsure if you were receiving my replies as I have not heard a response from you until now. I last responded to your question on January 6, and since she started antibiotics that day that means your she has been on antibiotics for 10 days duration. Typically I have pet on antibiotics for 10-14 days (sometimes longer), and since she still has a foul odor coming from the paw, I would highly recommend continuing the antibiotics for another 4-7 days. I am unsure what the "dirt in layers" is that you described because I cannot see this in the picture. Have you been cleaning the paw as instructed before in my initial response?

- Dr. H

*Please don't forget to leave me a rating for the service I have provided today. Thank you so much for your feedback! You can still continue the conversation after giving me a rating*