Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

I gave her metformin 500mg by mistake, she throwing up, no

Customer Question

I gave her metformin 500mg by mistake
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?
Customer: she throwing up
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: no it was an accident she was suppose to have fluoxetine and I gave her my niece medication
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: zoe 13 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about zoe?
Customer: that she is taking fluoxetine
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 month ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 11 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

This drug, when overdosed, typically only causes vomiting and lethargy. Your cat will likely vomit quite a bit over the next 12 hours or so, and then act lethargic for a day or so, but should not cause any serious side effects. I would withhold food for the next 12 hours, then offer a bland diet of chicken/turkey/beef baby food (the tiny jars with meat as the only ingredient) once she is done vomiting and seems interested in food. Once she is done vomiting you can also give Prilosec 20mg 1/2 tablet every 24 hours to settle her stomach. If she is still vomiting in 24 hours, you may need to see a vet just to get a strong anti-vomiting injection. But this should resolve without treatment.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are not necessary, but are appreciated, as they go directly to me rather than to the website. Best of luck.