Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

Oh, she's bw 11-12 year old Maine coon, with asthma, IBD,

Customer Question

Oh, she's bw 11-12 year old Maine coon, with asthma, IBD, constant constipation, and slight kidney function decrease. She has suffered 3 UTIs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Maine's name?
Customer: Oops, 3 UTIs in the last 8 mos, (we did move twice, but have been settled for 6 mos), and because of her IBD, she doesn't tolerate foods for very long before she throws them up and won't eat it. My question now is because the only food she has successfully eaten for the entire last year is hydrolyzed protein dry from our vet, but I'm thinking the dry food is contributing to constant constipation. SO, can I just feed her Gerber baby food turkey until bedtime then give her the dry for overnight, or will any dry cause constipation? I am also giving her 1/8 tsp of Miralax per night in the baby food, is that enuf? Help?
JA: The Veterinarian will know if IBD will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about IBD?
Customer: Sorry her name is***** rescued her from friends who couldn't keep her 2 yrs ago
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 11 days ago.

Hi this is Dr Hill. Please give me a moment to type my full response. Thank you

I would not give Tinkerbell a different food than the hydrolyzed protein diet, because of her IBD. The Miralax can be given twice daily at 1/8 of a teaspoon. You could get some lactulose from your local veterinarian to help soften the stool and also add subcutaneous fluids once or twice weekly without changing her diet. How often is she having a bowel movement?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
She typically has a BM once every 3-4 days. We have lactulose but it is hard to get her take it and it's sooo sticky and messy. That's why I'm giving her the Miralax every night per her vet. I was wondering if I could give her a double dose every day, I think that will help. I'm just worried that the dry hydrolyzed is making the constipation potential so much worse. Isn't that possible??

So yes you can double the miralax by giving it twice daily. She may also need the lactulose, and you can use both. As for the diet. It is likely that she has a lack of motility in her colon and that is the cause of the constipation. By changing the diet to a "low residue" formula, it may help but you run the risk of it causing issues with her IBD. Chronic uncontrolled IBD is linked to intestinal cancer. It is hard to say what is the right answer. If you do decide that you want to change the food, then make sure that you talk to your local veterinarian about a low residue diet trial. They can help pick the best one given her history.

Please ask any follow up questions. If you are satisfied with my answer, then please take time to rate my response. You can continue posting on this thread for several days, even after rating. Take care.