Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a similar situation as the one I just read about th,

Customer Question

Hi. I have a similar situation as the one I just read about th
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?
Customer: The cat who got sick after confronting a mouse. He's an indoor cat and we recently have an issue with house mice. I don't think he ate it but maybe it but him. He's been very lethargic, not eating or drinking in almost 2 days since. He did vomit a bit right at the beginning of this. But he's been known to throw up regularly. Between hair balls and food it's a few times per week.
JA: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: He's about 15 you...m Sorry typos. He's 15 years old. He's has digestive issues for last few years. However, this seemed to come on over night. After the situation with the mouse.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

The only significant problem we see with the mice vis a vis cats involves a cat ingesting a mouse that had been poisoned by either a bromethalin-containing rodenticide or an anticoagulant rodenticide. Bromethalin is unlikely as it causes agitation, tremors, and seizures. An anticogulant, however, can cause uncontrolled bleeding from any orifice and an increased respiratory rate due to bleeding into the chest cavity. Please check his gums and tongue for me. They should be nicely pink - not whitish which would indicate profound anemia due to bleeding.

If he's not anemic, the mouse is likely to be a red herring and your cat's behavior is more likely due to a metabolic disorder. At 15 years of age, there's rarely just one thing wrong but chronic renal insufficiency and age-related malignancies are important considerations. Whatever the cause of his malaise, it's important to recognize that he doesn't have the reserve of a much younger cat and so he should be attended to by his vet at your earliest convenience. I would expect a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests to be performed.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.