Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I think he has an abscess on his paw, Roxy 14 He broke his

Customer Question

I think he has an abscess on his paw
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Roxy 14 He broke his paw or something a while back when he went missing he finally came home and his paw was bent but didn't seem to hurt but now all swollen bleeding and smells
JA: How old is Roxy?
Customer: 14
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roxy?
Customer: Not really he is still putting and affectionate and still eats
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern about Roxy.

More than likely, he does have an abscess on his food based on your description.

Do you see any holes in his skin when you part the fur?

Do you have access to antibiotics?

Thanks, Deb

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
he has a home on his foot pad I soaked it in warm water and compressed it with a warm cloth then soaked it in peroxide. The wrapped it and gave him antibiotics
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for the answers to my questions although I'm sorry that I was off my computer when you responded back.

The fact that the abscess is open and draining is actually a good thing since, hopefully, the pus will be removed.

I do have a few suggestions which may help with this problem:

1. Soaking is a good thing to do but I'd suggest the use of Epsom Salts added to the water. This product can be found at human pharmacies or online. Soak for 5-10 minutes at least 2-3 times a day

2. Peroxide has actually been shown to retard healing so I might avoid its use. An alternative would be dilute, otc Betadine or Iodine (to the color of weak tea).

3. I don't typically wrap abscesses in cats since I want them open to drain; however if you're changing it regularly, then this may be fine.

4. I'm not sure if you meant that you were giving him oral antibiotics or if you were applying topical antibiotics to the wound when you bandaged it.

If the former, please let me know what antibiotic you're giving him and the dosage so that I can confirm that it's appropriate.

But, if he's not taking oral antibiotics, then I'd recommend them since the foot is swollen and there's an intense smell (which indicates infection).

Most antibiotics will require that a vet dispense them; however, you can purchase Amoxicillin intended for fish which is exactly the same drug which is given to cats (and dogs for that matter). http://www.fishmoxfishflex.com/index.php/fish-mox-amoxicillin-30-count.html

The dose for an average 10 lb cat would be 100-150 mg twice a day so you'd have to split the 250 mg capsules. Pull them apart over a white piece of paper and split the granules into two halves. Then sprinkle the granules into a small amount of wet food which, hopefully, he'll eat. You could also mix the granules with a small amount of water and then use a syringe or eye dropper to squirt it into his mouth where there's a small gap.

I typically advise giving antibiotics with food to avoid stomach upset.

5. If he's not showing improvement within a few days, then several thing may be going on:

a) His has a suppressed immune system secondary to Feline AIDS or Feline Leukemia

b) He may need stronger antibiotics than Amoxicillin

c) He may have what's known as an L-form bacteria which will only respond to Doxycycline or Minocycline.

Most cats are pretty amazing healers and I've seen some of the worst abscesses/infections heal just fine. Hopefully, this will be the case with him.

I hope this helps although, again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Roxy. How is she doing? Deb