Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Our cat we have had him now for 13 years in the past 3-4

Customer Question

Our cat we have had him now for 13 years in the past 3-4 months his one eye is watering every day not all day but it is happening.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Casey
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Casey?
Customer: He is overweight, tryin to keep him on diet with have another cat it very hard but we try our best and he is strictly an indoor cat.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Terri replied 1 month ago.

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Expert:  Terri replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry Casey has this trouble.

It is most likely an allergic response.

Dip an orange pekoe teabag in warm water. Apply it to the teary eye several times a day. The tanic acid in the tea will sooth and heal.

Casey can also have an antihistamine:

Any of these are also acceptable:

Benadryl at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily or

Chlorpheniramine at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day or

Claritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat or

Zyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a day

It is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat).

Please let me know how he is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer, we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Kind regards,

Terri