Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have 2 cats. The got in the rat poison this morning. Just

Customer Question

I have 2 cats. The got in the rat poison this morning. Just getting off work and discovered it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the cat ate?
Customer: Tom cat rat poison
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: No
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 13 days ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

This can be a very serious or fatal situation so you have to act quickly, you have two main options ...

1. It is a bit more difficult to induce vomiting in the cat than the dog but it is still possible, if you can induce vomiting within the first hour after ingestion then the chances are the things will be OK where many toxins of various sorts are concerned. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

2. If you fail to induce vomiting then the best thing to do is to take your cats to a local vet without delay, there is a very effective antidote available for many forms of rodent poisons. Take the pack with you so the vet can check the constituents of this poison.

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if either of your cats condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Im wondering is it too late for them they are just laying down will not walk. But they are purring when I rub them. I don't have a lot of money

That does not sound so good, sorry ...

If more than one hour has passed since they swallowed this toxin then sadly there is just nothing you can do to help them other than getting your local vet involved.

I wish I could suggest more.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 12 days ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your cats are getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the rat poison incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?